Friday, June 12, 2009

Newphew's Graduation Quilt

My nephew Spencer is graduating for High School on Sunday. I made him a water waves quilt as he is a swimmer -- oh and a musician and a runner; and an all round nice young man. He won a local 5 mile race on Friday!, which has competed in since he was in grade school.

I used the free "Warm Wishes" pattern, from the Better Homes and Garden site. I changed the center strip of the pattern to a wider piece as I had more of the black fabric and less of the other colors. I used a blue-green batik that has fish swimming in all directions. I chose a tie-dyed looking blue fabric for the back of the quilt. Using a variegated blue thread I proceeded to quilt waves through the entire quilt! I love the effect it created -- kind of a soothing feeling of comfort; hope that that is exactly how he will feel! I used Hobbs 80/20 Batting, a cotton and poly blend to keep you warm and cool at the same time.

More pictures of this quilt can be found on my website in the Media Gallery, under Examples - Waves.

1 comment:

Webmaster said...

The quilt was a hit, and he'll need it for college at Concordia in Moorhead MN.