Saturday, January 14, 2012

Work in Progress - Project Quilting - Building with a Vivid Imagination

As I got my super long table runner ready to quilt, I realized there was some more space to quilt a small quilt.  A place mat would be great to go with the table runner.  I had a few fabric scraps left.  I cut all the pieces into squares - not perfect squares.  Overlapped them like the ocean side houses in the photo of Italy. See Tuesday's post for the photos of the architectural elements. I used a purple quilter's blender fabric for the background.



 84 inches - that's long table runner!
Choosing the threads..

I quilted the table runner with wiggle lines spiraling into the shapes and then weaving in and out on the yellow background.



 I really had fun just spiraling in and out!
I quilted the place mat on each individual square - the houses of the city. 



The waving lines thru' the background represent the curvy streets in between the houses.
Both quilted and ready to trim, block, and add the binding.



The back side of the place mat.

 The back and the front of the table runner.
Purple binding for the table runner. I used a little tiny stretch stitch to machine sew the binding onto the quilt.
Black binding for the place mat. This photo was taken in the bright sun.  The sun really washes out the colors.
A couple macro shots.  First photos of the place mat.

And a close up of the table runner. Remember these macro shots - photos make the fabric and stitches look larger than life.

Added my name and year as I always do on my own quilts.

Use your vivid imagination to create...build with your imagination.
Tomorrow, I will share photos of my completed Project Quilting. Click here!
Enjoy your day!
Marcia
 
 

Linked with:
Love Affair with My Brother: This Week - Jan. 14, 2012
Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff - Jan. 14, 2012
Lisa's Chaos: Heart Macro Monday - Jan. 15, 2012
Freshly Pieced: Work In Progress - Jan. 18, 2012
The Shady Porch: Rock'NShare - Jan. 18, 2012
Faith, Grace, and Crafts: Pearls and Lace Thursday - Jan. 19, 2012
Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - Jan. 19, 2012

7 comments:

Richard Healey said...

I just recently started quilting and I am in love with your quilting machine. LOL being new I guess I need to start with the basics. I can still dream to have such a cool toy though. I do love the purple background your projects look great.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

West Michigan Quilter said...

I just saw your other post of the finished projects and I want to tell you how grateful I am to see this post. Thanks so much for showing us how you did these. I want to give it a try. I love what you have done.

Miss Hillbilly said...

LOVE seeing the back and all your superb quilting!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great post. I have not done any quilting before, but after reading your comments and looking at your beautiful photos, I feel inspired to try.

Marsha Cooper said...

I love how colorful the table runner is!
I don't even want to ask how much that machine cost....or the amount of room it takes to have one.

Doni said...

Hi Marcia!!
Wow...another LOVELY work! I especially love that purple backed one...the colors are just so vivid!!
Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday! I'm so late getting to everyone, but at least I'm able to leave comments on some of them!!
Blessings, Doni

Unknown said...

Hi Marcia!

My name is Tammy. I'm leaving you this comment on your blog because I could not find another way to contact you. I hope this is Ok.

I thought you might be interested in our latest infographic "8 Tips To Keep Your Dog Safe and Stress-Free this Halloween". You can view it at Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/106131018@N08/10406281936/. FYI (in case you're not familiar) Flickr.com is owned by Yahoo!. It's a very safe site and won't hurt your computer. To download the infographic right click on it and Flickr will show you some options.

If you like this infographic and want to share it with your readers, please feel free to do so. The only thing that we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog dot com in some way from your post.

As a way of showing our appreciation to those who choose to share the infographic, I'd be happy to spread the word about the blog post by linking to it from our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. Just let me know that you posted it and send me the link.

If you'd like to be removed from our contact list, please let me know.

Big Tail Wag!
Tammy Sexton
Marketing Coordinator
Tammy at TheUncommonDog dot com