Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday --- Colorful Caps

When my Mom left the hospital, they gave her a few surgery disposable caps.  It fit nicely on her head and tied in the back.  It wasn't too tight, but stayed securely on her head. They shaved a good portion of her hair and she has a ton of stitches. The surgeons successfully removed two brain tumors and they are not cancer!  YES!

Since this little cap fit so nicely, we decided she needed a couple colorful caps to protect her head while her hair grows back and her head heals.


This cap has a double layer of fabric on the sides.




The Doctors said she will have to protect her head from the sun too.  

This one is a butterfly fabric. I made this one with a single layer of fabric and a stitched hem.



My Mom cut her hair short right before the surgery, so it would be easier to take care of.


Here's a photo of my Mom before the surgery.


Here's the original disposable cap. I took it apart to make a pattern.




I am not giving you any measurements --- just guiding you through what I did to make them.




I did not want a binding edge like this cap had, so I doubled the size of it and folded it in half.


The straps.


I stitched them and turned them right side out.


Stitched the straps to the edge of the cap.




Marked with the pins some halfway points for lining it up.


and on the strip too.




Pinned to make a few gathers and eased the rest of it.






I used the point of my scissors to make little tucks in the cap part.  I know I could have stitched a basting stitch and pulled it, to gather it, but there's only a little gathering to do on the top of the cap.


I stitched from the end to the center and then turned it around and stitched from the other end to the center.


I could have serged or zig zagged the raw edge, but I didn't as it will only be used for a couple months and it will wash up just fine!  If I were making it to sell, I would have finished the raw edges.


I flipped the little point at the back up and stitched it.




The finished cap!


Mom has two cool colorful caps to wear as her hair grows back and they will protect her head too!


I hope I shared enough photos to guide you through the process.

Enjoy your evening!
Marcia

11 comments:

giddy99 said...

That is so sweet! Tell your mom to heal quickly! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is similar to the chemo caps we make - they just are a little lower in the back to cover the head more. Many gentle hugs to your mom.

Linda said...

Ah, so sweet. I know your Mom appreciated these. I'm so glad it was good news for her too. I hope she heals very quickly.

Your tutorial was very good and easy to follow. This does look a little like some chemo hats I made too. Thanks for sharing.

Lida said...

Oh Marcia, I am so happy for you and your Mom, wish her a speedy recovery and all the best! Love the two caps you made, will ask a friend for a cap, seems good for my Mom (94) too!
Hugs
Lida

sewyouquilt2 said...

great lookinmg caps and wishing a speedy recovery to your mom! very complete directions....

Betsy said...

Great idea Marcia. Hope your mom recovers fast!

tealeafquilts said...

It is a blessing that your Mom is okay! ANd what a nice thing for you to do. Maybe this should be a mission for you, make caps for patients!

Lori said...

Great news that your Mom is on the mend. Hey, she could have a cap to match every outfit!

Needled Mom said...

That is a great and stylish idea. I'm so glad the results came back benign on your mom too!!

midvalleystagers@blogspot.com said...

So happy that your Mom is on the mend. The caps are cute and your Mom looks adorable in them!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad it wasn't cancer. Your mother's had a tough few years. Hope the next few are much smoother.