Thursday, February 20, 2014

Progress on my Across the Universe Challenge Quilt

Luckily, we did not lose power today, during the winter storm.  We got a lot of rain, some lightening and thunder. We are suppose to get snow and high winds this evening. I unplugged my quilting machine, mid afternoon, while it was storming and I cut all the pieces for my quilt.  I arranged them on the cloud blue fabric. I peeled off the backing paper and ironed them into place. 

I took several photos of the whole process. This is not a tutorial.  I have explained raw edge applique before, so I am not going to explain it today.  I just wanted to show how I created my imaginary map. There is not a pattern either. I did not measure or try to get anything to an exact size. 

I created an imaginary quilted map of Boscobel, Wisconsin (our home) and the Atlantic Ocean and Amsterdam, the Netherlands (where my grandbaby lives). The distance between here and there seems like it is "across the universe". 


































I draw the lines with a fine point sharpie.  That way I have a guideline to follow when I quilt it.




I plan to quilt (thread paint it) and bind it on Saturday. I will take it with me to the Netherlands.  Yes - I am going there!

Thanks for following along!

Marcia
Links to Project Quilting in my sidebar.

3 comments:

Carla Keahey said...

Aw so sweet! I'm sure you are more than happy to go across the universe for your sweet grandchild! I love it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love watching your process of work. How great that you get to go visit again.

VickiT said...

What a great idea for your quilt Marcia. I looks good so far. And how fun you are going to see your grandbaby! I am sure you're thrilled.

The weather? ugh...SO not fun. We woke yesterday about 345am or so to a loud thunderstorm with lots of lightening. Then within the next 30 minutes or so, power out and it stayed out for over 3 hours. Thankfully it wasn't sub-zero temps outside, but it was hovering near 34 degrees so it wasn't exactly warm either. And by 5am we had, as my son described on his way to work, frozen slush missiles hitting his windshield. Throughout the day it was anything/everything from rain to freezing rain, to sleet, snow, and more rain. Oh and that wind. WOW. That started later in the afternoon and did not let up and overnight last night it woke me up a number of times as it was so strong and loud.

Now they're saying come Monday, back in the deep freeze with another of those new Vortex things they started talking about this year. ugh. Nasty weather.

Anyway, can't wait to see what you do to the quilt with your thread painting. I bet you're counting the days before you get to see your grandbaby again.