Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Transforming "Old to Modern" for Project Quilting

This month, the Off Season Project Quilting Challenge is to use a panel fabric to create a quilted project.


This panel measures 18" X 18".


But the edges are frayed.  It is a vintage piece (70's) and very thin.


I am thinking of re enforcing the fabric with an iron-on interfacing.  Even tho' it is thin, you know, I love it, because it is blue!

My first thoughts:

I will re enforce the fabric and then cut it up into pieces and create some kind of collage or mosaic using batiks fabrics.  I want to give the 70's fabric a modern look!

Transforming "Old to Modern" for Project Quilting using panel fabric.

What do you think?  Any thoughts before I cut it. 

I have two weeks left to create, but I will start cutting this week, so comment fast, if you want to share some input into this project.

Thanks!

Enjoy!
Marcia

6 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

A light weight interfacing would be a good idea. Can you save half that border? You could sew another small border onto what is left, to bring it back up to the size you want before you start adding blocks.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I agree with the light weight interfacing to help support the delicate fabric. The edge border may not be that salvedgeable - once that frayed, the fabric is really weakened.

Lida said...

Love this star and wish you good luck with it!

Trish Frankland said...

You know the equilateral triangle quilts we're seeing lately? What if you cut the star into equilateral triangles (two per point - one from the leg, and another from the center) and then reassembled along with new fabrics too.

waggonswest said...

I can Trish's equilateral triangle idea working well. Remember when you cut it up you are also going to lose your quarter inch seams. That may distort things more than you anticipate. If you don't want to do that, you can applique.

You could even salvage your frayed edge by putting stitching it onto the surface with a small stitch a few threads over from the fraying.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Marcia:
I love this. It looks like some of those panels that you could sew inside a sweat shirt, and then cut the outside. Remember those?
I made one for my mom lol
Have fun with this. I love blue as well!