Monday, February 27, 2017

I Titled My Quilt "A Growing Neighborhood"

I created this quilt for the Urban Bright Challenge With Frond Design Studios and The Bad Ass Quilter's Society

I found my inspiration from Kim Lapacek's Dresden Neighborhood Pattern.

I took several photos in the house with natural lighting and a couple outside. 

This one was taken outside in the snow. You can hardly see the quilting.

Here's the inside photo. You can really see the quilting in this photo.

I started with this bundle of Frond Design Studio Fabric......

....and an idea to create a LARGE neighborhood based on the pattern created by Kim Lapacek's Dresden Neighborhood.

This is a series of photos that shares all the design changes I made. This is not a tutorial or instructions, as it is just to show you how I created my growing neighborhood.

Yes - I started with a Dresden Block... 

My first thought was to go with navy background fabric, but it looked too dull.

....but I quickly changed my mind as it did not seem large enough and I realized the neighborhood need to expand and grow!

I really like the black fabric better than the navy for the background.

I added lite heat and bond to the edges of the plates (houses). 

Pressed them all in place. This was not easy as I had so many over lapping.

I added a border.

I created the backing using all the leftover fabric pieces and the license plate section.

Placed it off center.

After a pre quilt press it was ready to quilt.

I had a lot of fun with the quilting!

I added my name to the corner.

I added black binding.

Here's a couple photo of the backside of the quilt.

And a couple more at an angle of the front. You can see all the textures here.

It was a great quilt challenge!  I am glad I took the challenge.

I will be linking up over at the Bad Ass Quilter's Society the first week in March.

I titled my quilt "A Growing Neighborhood"

It measures 55" X 48".

Enjoy your day!


Thursday, February 16, 2017

Splashy Fish

It's definitely a BRIGHT one!
I created a "Splashy Fish" Baby Comfort Quilt this week for the Project Quilting Challenge.

I started with this arrangement....

Then I swapped out a few blue squares and added in some minkee squares.

I started sewing it together row by row. 3/8" seam allowance works best for me with all the different fabrics.

After the quilt top was assembled, I pressed it. I use a press cloth as the heat of the iron melts the minkee fabric. I use steam to press through the press cloth to flatten the quilt top. A piece of flannel fabric is a perfect choice for a press cloth.

I made tabs or taggies for the edges of the quilt. I stitched them closed. I make an odd amount (9 or 11) in assorted sizes.
They can be made by pressing the raw edges inside or sewing a tube and then press in half and stitched closed.

I stitch the raw edge of each tab to the raw edge of the quilt top. See the photo.

Next, lay the poly batting on the bottom with the backing fabric and quilt top right sides together. That way I can see that I have everything lined up as I stitch through all 3 layers. I pin the layers together and then stitch all the way around leaving a 6 inch opening on one end, where there are no tags. 3/8" seam allowance.

Trim the corners to take out some bulk.

Here's the opening.

Turn right side out through the opening. Poke the corners out. Flatten and smooth with your hands.

Then press with a steam iron. Important: I use a press cloth as the heat of the iron will melt the minkee fabric. I use steam to press through the press cloth to flatten the quilt.

I pin with safety pins so the layers don't shift while I quilt it.

First I stitch the outside edge.

Next I stitch (quilt) it. I didn't use a walking foot, but that probably would make it easier to quilt. 

My finished baby comfort quilt measures 16" X 22".

It's the perfect size for in the car or in a buggy. Babies love the soft fabrics and the tabs on the sides. 

Backside of the baby quilt.

I created my quilt for this week's project quilting challenge. I am linking up at Persimon Dreams Blog. Hop over and check out all the colorful quilts created this week.

I created my baby comfort quilt for a customer.

I created this baby comfort quilt and matching bib for a customer too. I used vintage chenille.

This one and the next one were for customers too.

Thanks for following along!